Half-and-half 1 qt.(1 lt)
Vanilla bean, split 1
Egg yolks 8 oz. (12 yolks)(240 g)
Granulated sugar 10 oz.(300 g)
1. In a heavy saucepan, bring the half-and-half and vanilla bean just to a boil.
2. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a mixing bowl. Temper the egg mixture with approximately one-third of the hot half-and-half, then return the entire mixture to the saucepan with the remaining half-and-half.
3. Cook the sauce over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not allow the mixture to go above 185°F (85°C) or the mixture will curdle. Do not allow the sauce to boil.
4. As soon as the sauce thickens, remove it from heat and pour it through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl. Chill the sauce over an ice bath, then pour into the selected individual containers and keep refrigerated. The sauce should last 3 to 4 days.
5. Before serving, using fine grained sugar, make an even layer over the individual containers. With a torch, caramelize the sugar. Make sure not to get too close or it will burn instead.