Next Chapter
1 min read

I am adding a new daily thing to do to keep the community active and to help those who are shy have a chance to talk about something. So this is our newly added series: Question of the Day!

I (or members in ExR) will ask one question daily to see everyone’s opinion on it.

The first question of this series is:

1. How did you get into yaoi/danmei/BL?

Addis’ answer: I started reading shounen-ai back in 2012 because I read all of the release shojo and josei that I could find. I wanted to find something with a different plot and stumbled upon Junjo Romantica and Loveless.

Next Chapter
Exiledrebelsscanlations

exiledrebelsscanlations

We are a group that translates Japanese Yaoi manga and Chinese BL novels. Remember to comment on our chapters or leave a review and rating on Novel Updates, it encourages us!

YourLight
January 29, 2022 12:11 pm

Truthfully I don’t know that kind of novel
exist ( I always thought that novel should be always like the books on school library
so I quickly lost on interest in them)
until I read some manhua that keep me interested and I think I browse at the comments and someone said that it have a novel version so I discovered NovelUpdates and it’s have a variaty of genre and I click on every foreign genre that I found and I embark on a journey of no return

LunatiCat
January 29, 2022 1:00 pm

I think it started with Junjou Romantica and Seikaii Ichi Hatsukoi (I hope I wrote those names right ahah) years ago. I was intrigued after watching them and searched for more animes of the same type, thus I got deeper into this genre. Eventually, I moved from anime to manga to novels, and now I can’t get enough! I find BL to be often more refreshing, entertaining and funny than Shoujo/Seinen/Josei genres.

Megako-Chan
January 29, 2022 3:28 pm

I was reading manga on kiss manga. Was looking for something new & accidentally came across it. I’ve been hooked since 14.

Evolmajitania
January 29, 2022 5:14 pm

Hi! I´m Mexican! I start with Thai BL series, Love by chance and 2mons. Then I search the novels but the spanish version was awful, so I read in english, one novel, later two, and three! Now I´ve read so many! Actually I read manga, manhwa, manhua, novels, and series, well, I see few series for the time, it is more practical to read.

Linsa
January 29, 2022 6:20 pm

I started t get into bro love first through untamed series later i read the book in this site and became a bl fan.. ah its the starting point for this journey.. (**wink**)

kei
kei
January 29, 2022 8:34 pm

I got into danmei during the lockdown! i remember my first novel was the king’s avatar and it took me three weeks to finish it because I keep forgetting the names lol! afterward, I got into MXTX’s mdzs and then tgcf.. I was then introduced to Priest and Meatbun’s work.. so you could say I was baptized by angst in the first few months of my danmei journey hahaha!

Karai
January 30, 2022 3:37 am

For me yaoi and shounen ai mangas came first, with Gakuen Heaven being my very first yaoi manga tried out after watching its anime version. Then Japanese BL followed, while my very first Chinese BL was LMW, or maybe MDZS, I don’t know because I started them at the same time. After that is snowballed into browsing all kinds of novels and entering this world for good. 😉

keiya
keiya
January 30, 2022 11:13 am

I think it started with a Thai BL series, 2gether.
After i watched 2gether i searched for more thai bl dramas then slowly i started to read yaoi manga/manhwa and novels. Now i am at the point where i cannot live without bl.

Minlani
Minlani
January 31, 2022 2:00 am

I ran out of good hetero romance stories on nupdates at the time. Before i started reading bl, I kept being annoyed at finding out that some of the stories with good plots were actually bl lol. Bl stories were everywhere haha. When i ran out of hetero stories, i figured why not give it a shot and read one out of curiosity. Don’t remember which one really, but i slowly became a lot more open to bl stories. Now it’s like 50% of what i read.

Mariedurand
January 31, 2022 2:32 am

I first watched animes of junjo romantica and sekai ichi hatsukoi. After that, i fell on Addicted and so i became addicted. After that, i looked for other BL and i found a little website, very nice and cool which began to translate Mo Dao Zu Shi and then i followed each release with big emotions.

Popsicles
January 31, 2022 4:02 am

Well, to be honest, I don’t remember much of when I started it haha. I suppose, it’s been 10 years now? More or less. I also stumbled into Junjou Romantica (and its extensive couples!) and also Viewfinder by Yamane Ayano sensei.

I remember being so enamored by yaoi genre’s style. Sure, they had those yaoi hands before, but the expressions and body movements were amazing! I was hooked because of the art style, and later by the plot (which didn’t follow the rich man poor woman or mary sue trope)

Purabi Daimary
Purabi Daimary
January 31, 2022 8:12 am

My first bl novel I read was on Wattpad. It was a long time ago so I actually forgot about the novel’s name. It was written by PrinceKazime. After that I read Addicted novel translated by Saehan01 and it was in that moment I instantly fall in love with bl genre. After that I have been reading all of kinds of Chinese bl novels now. My all time favourites are MDZS,Addicted, The Husky and His White Cat Sizun,Thousand Autumns, Saye Run Freely, Epiphanies of Rebirth ,The Earth Is Online,Royal Road.

Hikariselene
February 1, 2022 2:03 pm

To be honest I accidentally clicked on a YouTube video about Harry/Draco and after watching it I fell in love with the idea of enemies to lovers. After that I looked up a Harry Potter fanfiction about the pairing and the first one I read was written so well that I cried my eyes out. It was a downward (but really upward; #NoRegrets) spiral from there, lol.

Bloodytasted
Bloodytasted
February 1, 2022 10:21 pm

I start reading yaoi when lockdown. It was my brother you introduce it to me, the I stated to read. My first yaoi story was the story of I Got Bitten After Transmigrating into a Pseudo-Beta.

ʙ.ʟ.ᴜ.ᴇ.ʙ.ᴇ.ʀ.ʀ.y
ʙ.ʟ.ᴜ.ᴇ.ʙ.ᴇ.ʀ.ʀ.y
February 2, 2022 3:10 am

ᴛʜᴀʀɴᴛyᴩᴇ. ɪᴛ ʙʀᴏᴜɢʜᴛ ᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜɪꜱ ɴᴇᴡ ᴠᴀꜱᴛ ᴡᴏɴᴅᴇʀꜰᴜʟ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ. ɪ ᴅɪᴅɴ’ᴛ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴇꜱᴇ ᴋɪɴᴅꜱ ᴏꜰ ɴᴏᴠᴇʟ ᴇxɪꜱᴛꜱ. ᴍᴅᴢꜱ ᴡᴀꜱ ᴍy ꜰɪʀꜱᴛ ʙʟ ɴᴏᴠᴇʟ ꜰᴏʟʟᴏᴡᴇᴅ ʙy ᴛʜᴀʀɴᴛyᴩᴇ. ɪ ᴅᴏɴᴛ ᴀᴄᴛᴜᴀʟʟy ʀᴇᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ ʜᴏᴡ ɪ ᴄᴀᴍᴇ ᴀᴄʀᴏꜱꜱ ᴛᴛ. ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ʟᴏᴠᴇᴅ ɪᴛ ᴀɴyᴡᴀy. ᴄᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟy ɪᴍ ʀᴇᴀᴅɪɴɢ ᴛɢᴄꜰ. ᴀɴᴅ ɪᴍ ʟᴏᴠɪɴɢ ɪᴛ.

Graciemerci
February 2, 2022 7:20 am

How did i get into BL? Uhm, I discovered BL, i think, way back 2016? I was reading this novel written by Cassandra Clare (The Instruments) and I was kinda amused by Magnus x Alec. I found their relationship so cute and lovely! Then after that, I ventured to BL novels, manga,anime and fanfics! I really fell in love with this genre. In 2019, i stumbled upon MDZS donghua. What a blessing! After I’ve watched it, i found our that it was based off a novel. So, that’s my first encounter with danmei!

McMoroLady
McMoroLady
February 2, 2022 3:48 pm

When I was around 12 I came across a doujinshi of Edward Elric with his brother and became infatuated with the idea of two men together, not just because the sex was hot as hell, but because the interpretations of males in BL/Yaoi make them be much more sentimental and understandable than I otherwise observe from males in real life. Fortunately my husband has proven me wrong, since he is a wonderful marshmallow just waiting to melt in my hugs! ❤

M00nkhi
February 2, 2022 7:46 pm

initially i was into asian dramas where the girl is pretending to be a boy which slowly turned into watching bl dramas

Joselym
February 3, 2022 4:06 am

A mi me presentaron este tipo de novela en wattpad y me gusto recuerdo que lo primero que lei fue the legendary master wife

Well, u don't have to know
Well, u don't have to know
February 3, 2022 8:25 am

No doubt it’s untamed who brought me into BL

InfiresxKumamon
InfiresxKumamon
February 25, 2022 5:16 pm

I have always been in to bl even before I know what is was, but I remember finding a 19 days panel in Pinterest when I was in 4th grade and I just kinda went down a rabbit hole. 🙃

Itsspica
February 25, 2022 10:49 pm

Ah tats right I didnt rem how at 1st but I saw some of the comments n I remember,it WAS junjou romantica anime,I was quite surprised at tat time. I was in my teen and watchin at the living room lol.But Ive been an avid reader of magas since young and I found it interesting but of cors at tat time internet wasn’t like now and it’s not tat easy to find yaoi comic at the bookstores.I started to read regulary after college?I found mangago and there’s nth else to explain 😂

AshPoet
AshPoet
February 26, 2022 4:51 am

Started reading BL in 2017, when I somehow stumbled upon Quickly Wear the Face of the Devil and after it entered the holy door of BL 😂😂😂. Loved it since that. Have read and watched most of the available animes, mangas and books of BL genre. Proud of myself.

BLisLife
BLisLife
February 26, 2022 5:32 am

first i’ve watched “Addicted” a chinese adaptation of the novel itself then, the series was stopped without finishing the whole story, after that i’ve read some comments that it has a novel so i searched for it.. and this is how i was hooked by reading BL till now..

MOMO
MOMO
February 26, 2022 10:43 pm

I ran out of shoujo manga to read, so I got curious when I saw a Yaoi manga. I can’t remember the name, but I do remember it being an omega verse genre. Truthfully, I was a little put off by it but my curiosity got the better of me and before I knew it I couldn’t stop reading it. It was a lot more wholesome than I thought it was gonna be. Of course, it had its fair share of smut, but it was a lot more than that. Thanks to that, I wanted to read more of it… Read more »